Wednesday 12 April 2017

Yakhni Pulao


Alot is happening in my life right now. I'm trying to find a place where I actually belong. I thought Oman was it, but as it dawns on me now, this country is a career suicide. As much as I love Oman (Things to-do when in Oman, coming up on the blog soon), I'm already thinking about moving. Not sure where, not sure when, but it will happen InshAllah (hopefully). *fingers crossed*


Any type of aromatic rice used to be a comfort food for me when I was young. I remember my mother making this (she is one of the best cook in the world!) with shaami kababs and raita. This is totally her recipe and how she makes it. Rough estimate of ingredients, no hard and fast rule and no limitations, that how I cook. Whats the fun in everything thats been set on stone, right?


For this recipe you'll need:
(For the Stock):
500 grams of Beef or Mutton with bone (I used beef)
1 medium Onion
1/2 inch piece of Ginger
5-6 cloves of Garlic
5-6 Cloves
5-6 Black peppercorn
2-3 Black Cardamom
1 Star Anise
2 sticks of Cinnamon
1-2 Bay leaves
1/2 tsp of Cumin
1 tsp of coarsely crushed Coriander Seeds
Some dried chilies (optional)

Other Ingredients:
1.5-2 cups (regular measuring cup) or approx 350-400 grams of Basmati Rice
1 Medium Onion, sliced
250 grams of Yogurt
1 tsp of Ginger Garlic paste
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp of Garam Masala Powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp of Ground Black pepper
4-5 Green Chilies, roughly chopped
Fried Onion (optional)




Start by adding Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Cinnamon, Peppercorns, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom, Cloves, Cumin, Coriander seeds, Bay leaves and some dried Chilies in a deep pot.

Add beef/mutton

Add water so that the meat is fully covered.

Cook on low till the meat is cooked through, about 1.5-2 hours.
Take out the meat and strain and reserve the stock to use later.

Whip yogurt with Cumin, Ginger Garlic paste and Garam Masala powder. Keep aside.

Brown onion in 4-5 tbsp of oil than add cloves, peppercorn, cinnamon and cardamom.

Add beef/mutton..

yogurt mix, salt, ground black pepper and roughly crushed green chilies

Cook till all the water from the yogurt evaporates and oil is released. 

Add reserved stock (double the amount of rice used, I used 1.5 cups of rice, so 3 cups of stock). If you have less stock, just add water to compensate. Bring to the boil.

Add Rice and cook covered on medium flame till the water is almost dried. Than cook on low with a flat 'tawa' underneath the pateeli for 20 minutes.

Uncover and marvel at the aroma that would hit you in the face.

Sprinkle with fried onion and coriander.




I had this yummy pulao with Potato cutlets (recipe here), salad and raita.





11 comments:

  1. Thank you Miss Sidra for sharing the recipe of Yakhni Pulao, i have always tried my hand at this Pulao, but it has never come out to be too good..Surely will try this over the week end. Thanks again

    Amira is one of the major producers of Basmati Rice and exports it to around five continents in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This was my first attempt at making pulao. I was quite nervous because I made it while fasting and, I always mess up rice dishes. I’m so happy to say though, that it came out perfect! Thank you for sharing this recipe, it was easy to follow (though I did use chicken instead of red meat) and tasted great! This turned out really well. Lovely light flavoursome.Thank you Miss Sidra for sharing the recipe of Yakhni Pulao, i have always tried my hand at this Pulao, Only thing I added was yoghurt after frying the meat a little in the onion until it started looking a little browned. Then added yoghurt mixed well and then added the rice. The spice combination – perfect. am so pleased that your family enjoyed the dish. I love it when people make my recipes, but truly – the real experts are the ones who cook the dish – i.e., all of you. Thank you for sharing your article about Yakhni Pulao If You interested to know more information please visit http://onedaytop.com/pineapple-juice-helps-get-rid-cough/


    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb kind of work by the author as on this particular topic people needs more precise information and special attention to it. Thanks a lot.
    Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an ideal food for the family! I will make cooking as a hobby other than playing games.lol puzzle games of course online games still my bet! I will try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm figuring December, January and February... by March I'm usually mentally done with Winter and will break out some Spring-y stuff whether Mother Nature cooperates or not. get you pussychicken.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Nice Post Your content is very inspiring and appriciating I really like it please visit my site for Satta King Matka and Satta king disawar or for super fast result satta king delhi also checkout my site Matka Result you can also visit out site satta king result visit us on satta king faridabad satka matka satka my new site SattaKing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m not that much of an internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road hyderabadi biryanis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get the fastest result Online Satta King, Satta Matka, Delhi Satta, Satta, Sattaking, Gali Satta. Sattaking.agency is most reliable and convenient sattaking.
    Delhi Bazar Satta
    Delhi Bazar Satta King

    ReplyDelete
  9. Önemli giriş adreslerine buradan ulaşabilirsiniz.
    betturkey giriş
    betpark giriş
    AGP

    ReplyDelete