Friday 23 December 2011

Matar Pulao with Tomato Chutney



I have weird sleep cycles this winter, i'm not sleepy at night and i cant seem to wake up in the morning

I'm sleepy and lazy all day, I don't feel like doing anything.

I know, not a good way to spend my vacations. 
(well i am kinda compensating for the sleep that i would be losing for my papers in April :D)

But yea, I'm getting kinda annoyed with myself now.

I should do something productive, so i'm going shopping tomorrow for the things i'd be needing for a baking spree next week.
I have 3 awesome cakes planned.
Will keep you guys posted :)

So anyways, this recipe is purely my mother's.

An all time favorite at my home and a definite life saver when you cant figure out what to cook for dinner.

I'm sure everyone has their own version of this recipe, this is the way I make it !

These rice would work awesome with mint raita or plain yogurt !




Ingredients:
These are the same amount of ingredients that i used. You can easily adjust according to your requirement.

(For the Rice)
2 1/2 cup of Rice
Peas : 1/2 kg
1 large Onion (Sliced)
1 tbsp of Ginger Garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp of Cumin
Salt to taste
1 large tomato (chopped)
5-6 Green chilies (slice half of them)

(For Tomato Chutney)
4-5 tomatoes (roughly chopped)
2 Onions (sliced)
Salt to taste
2 tsp of Red Chili flakes
4-5 Green Chilies (chopped)
2 tsp of Sugar


Method:
(For the Rice)

Clean and soak rice in water for 30 minutes.

Heat about 1/2 cup of oil in a pan and fry onions till light golden

Add ginger garlic paste and Cumin. When fragrant...

...add chopped chilies and tomato

..and the whole chilies as well. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover immediately.
Let it cook till the tomatoes are tender.

Than add the peas and let them cook for about 7-8 minutes.

Add a little less than 5 cups of water. 

When it comes to boil..

...add the rice. At this time you should take a spoon full of the stock and check the seasoning.

Cook on medium flame till almost all the water evaporates. Than cook on very low flame for 10 minutes.


(For the Tomato Chutney)

Heat oil in a pan. Add onions. Fry till transparent.

Add all the other ingredients. and let it cook on low flame till the tomatoes are tender...

...and it looks somewhat like this.

Enjoy !!




Submitting this recipe to Cooking with Seeds : Peas


Submitting this recipe to Midweek Fiesta

Sharing recipe with Lets Cook Rice






6 comments:

  1. wow...extremely awesome recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, seriously this matar pulao and chutney makes me hungry,thanks for sending to CWS..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Combo. Thanks for linking it to the event. Happy to come across your space Sidra. Happy to follow you dear. Do visit mine when time permits.

    ReplyDelete